The Next Generation

Remember when we were teenagers and anything we could do to rebel from our parents was the biggest thrill ever? Well it was for me anyway and I miss those days. Our thrills were actually pretty innocent back then, like toilet papering houses, passing notes in class and in church, sneaking out with the neighborhood kids, and putting makeup on the boys when they fell asleep--that sort of thing.

I went to my family reunion this weekend at Lake Buchanan and it really brought back a lot of memories of my teenage years. The last time we had one was 15 years ago when my cousins, my sisters, and I were all crazy kids looking for excitement. There were about 15 of us that were teenagers at the same time back then and you can image the fun we had and trouble we got into for waking the babies with our loud "boom boxes" playing Ice Ice Baby from the roof.

This reunion was a bit sad because our teenage generation is all grown up. The cousins we had so much fun with back then are now consumed with babies, families, and jobs. The conversations we have are now politically correct and it's almost like the world took over my cousins and changed them forever. We no longer talk about what we want to be when we grow up or make fun of the weird aunts and uncles we have. We talk about politics, divorces, babies, and the jobs we have that are nothing close to the childhood dream jobs we once aspired for...it's weird how life happens and things change isn't it?

I did notice the new teenage generation that was there. There were about 7 of them and they were the annoying screaming babies that I remember 15 years ago. They are total punks now might I add! There is something different about this generation of teens though. Their idea of a good time is sex and drugs. I don't know why teens have changed so much in the past 15 years but the severity of it makes me wonder what the future holds for generations to come.

I blame Obama and I'll think of a reason later... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment